Choosing Your Learning
There is a right way and a wrong way to design learning, make sure you get it right for your business or organisation so that your people get the learning they need in the right way at the right time
Get it Right
- Describe - what will people do differently at the end
- Use Blooms' taxonomy to identify the level of learning
- Write out your objectives
- Analysis Current Reality - what is the current position/circumstance/available budget
- Only now start to think about how you might provide this learning
Get it Wrong
- Agree to do some training and development
- Decide that it will be a 2 day face-2-face workshop
- Find a programme or a provider
- Write the aims and objectives of the programme
How ClearWorth Customises Learning
Have your own custom programmes to suit your needs anywhere in the world
- Run bespoke programmes for your company – e.g Your company 6 Questions for Leading Achievers
- Design, develop and/or develop tailor made programmes
- White label any of our existing products for you.
- Design materials for your learning management system
- Provide you with your own learning management system and add existing materials to it
Design must always start with a question and typically it is a question like this:
- What will be different at the end of the training or intervention?
To help us think through this we use the invaluable work by Benjamin Bloom. Before we design anything we must have clarity. To see why we believe this is the optimum approach to setting learning objectives see our thinkspot. Link here to our Thinkspot on Bloom's Taxonomy of Learning.
Ideally we will work iteratively in the design phase. By the end of this phase we have clarity on the learning objectives, the business needs and drivers, the audience and the hopes and aspirations for this training we can begin the development phase, where we scope out ideas and options.
During this phase we would link closely with the business, testing ideas and design at all key stages. No detailed development should begin before everyone is sure we have understood the business needs.
- Design – sort out the objectives and deliverables
- Develop, focus on customizing existing materials or designing new ones
- Deliver, ClearWorth can develop programme or can work with inhouse trainer to deliver.
If the training is online and to be used in the client environment a testing phase will be needed. We need to talk to your IT department to check things like browser and firewall settings.
Quality interactive online materials are time consuming to make. If you can use/adapt/customize an existing product it will keep your costs down. If not we will start from scratch but this will be built into your costs from the beginning.